Descendants of Pressley Purdy
Courtesy of www.museum.bmi.net
Our goal is to research the pioneers that came into the Walla Walla Valley Area, as a starter for those doing their family genealogy; we are not related.
Head Researcher: Sarah Olsen,
Researcher: Linda Kracke
February 1, 2006
Generation No. 1
1. PRESSLEY1 PURDY was born Abt. 1795 in Kentucky. He married ELIZA BURKS 17 Dec 1817 in Washington,KY.
Notes for PRESSLEY PURDY:
1850 Census IL McDonough Pg 255A
355 355 Prestly Purddy 55 M Farmer 3500 KY
Elizabeth Purddy 53 F KY
Nicholas Purddy 22 M Farmer KY
Hesikier Purddy 18 M Farmer KY
Joseph Purddy 16 M Farmer KY
Ann Beck 72 F Maryland
Amanda Kirk 21 F Kentucky
1860 Census IL McDonough Sciota Pg 773
2844 2884 Presly Purdy 65 M Farmer 4480 540 KY
Joseph Purdy 26 M KY
Hesikiah Purdy 28 M KY
Nicholas Purdy 31 M Farmer --- 1035 KY
Amanda Purdy 30 F KY
Walan Purdy 3 F IL
Edwan Purdy 3/12 M IL
More About PRESSLEY PURDY:
Census 1: 1850, IL McDonough Pg 255A
Census 2: 1860, IL McDonough Sciota Pg 773
Census 3: 1870, OR Linn Harrisburg Pg 606B(See Son John Buck Purdy)
More About ELIZA BURKS:
Census: 1850, IL McDonough Pg 255A(See Husband)
More About PRESSLEY PURDY and ELIZA BURKS:
Marriage: 17 Dec 1817, Washington,KY
Children of PRESSLEY PURDY and ELIZA BURKS are:
Generation No. 2
2. JOHN BUCK2 PURDY (PRESSLEY1) was born 14 Dec 1819 in Kentucky, and died 21 Apr 1901 in Umatilla,OR. He married MARY E HARDIN. She was born 18 Aug 1828 in KY, and died 09 Jan 1890 in Umatilla,OR.
Notes for JOHN BUCK PURDY:
1850 Census IL McDonough Pg 262A
454 454 John B Purddy 30 M Farmer KY
Mary Purddy 22 F KY
Eliza A Purddy 5 M IL
Nancy G Purddy 2 F IL
1860 Census IL McDonough Emmet Pg 585
1617 1599 John B Purdy 40 m Farmer 5000 854 KY
Mary Purdy 31 F KY
Eliza Purdy 14 F IL
Nancy Purdy 12 F IL
Samuel Purdy 9 M IL
Robert Raymon 18 M Farm Laborer VA
1870 Census OR Linn Harrisburg Pg 606B
131 130 Purdy John B 50 MW Farmer 5000 2000 KY
------------, Mary E 42 FW Keeping House KY
------------, Samuel P 11 MW IL
------------, Pressley 75 MW Saddler KY (insane)
1880 Census OR Umatilla Centerville Pg 43B
John B. Purdy Self M Male W 61 KY Farmer KY KY
Mary E. Purdy Wife M Female W 52 KY Keeping House KY D.C.
More About JOHN BUCK PURDY:
Census 1: 1850, IL McDonough Pg 262A
Census 2: 1860, IL McDonough Emmet Pg 585
Census 3: 1870, OR Linn Harrisburg Pg 606B
Census 4: 1880, OR Umatilla Centerville Pg 43B
Census 5: 1900, OR Umatilla Athena Dist 113 Pg 99A(See Son Samuel Pressley Purdy)
Emigration: 1865, IL by Mule Team 46 yrs old
Occupation 1: 1892, Farmer
Occupation 2: 1900, Retired Farmer
Picnic: 1892, Weston, Umatilla, OR
Residence 1: 1892, Athena, Umatilla, OR
Residence 2: 1900, Living with son Samuel Purdy
More About MARY E HARDIN:
Census 1: 1850, IL McDonough Pg 262A(See Husband)
Census 2: 1860, IL McDonough Emmet Pg 585(See Husband)
Census 3: 1870, OR Linn Harrisburg Pg 606B(See Husband)
Census 4: 1880, OR Umatilla Centerville Pg 43B(See Husband)
Children of JOHN PURDY and MARY HARDIN are:
Generation No. 3
3. SAMUEL PRESSLEY3 PURDY (JOHN BUCK2, PRESSLEY1) was born Oct 1850 in IL, and died 13 Dec 1917 in Jackson,OR3. He married ELIZABETH ANN HARTMAN 24 Dec 1874 in Weston, Umatilla Co., OR, daughter of JAMES HARTMAN and JANE JONES. She was born 21 Aug 1856 in Agency, IA, and died 31 May 1925 in Pendleton,Umatilla, OR4.
Notes for SAMUEL PRESSLEY PURDY:
1880 Census OR Umatilla Centerville Pg 43B
Samuel B. Purdy Self M Male W 29 IL Farmer KY KY
Elizabeth Purdy Wife M Female W 23 IA TN TN
Thomas A. Purdy Son S Male W 4 OR IL IA
John B. Purdy Son S Male W 1 OR IL IA
1900 Census OR Umatilla Athena Dist 113 Pg 99A
214 215 Purdy Samuel Head WM Oct 1850 49 M 26 IL KY KY Farmer
------------, Elizabeth Wife WF Aug 1856 43 M 26 (7 Children 6 Alive) IA TN TN
------------, Walter E Son WM Feb 1881 19 S OR IL IA Farm Laborer
------------, Nellie A Daughter WF Nov 1883 16 S OR IL IA At School
------------, James P Son WM Mar 1886 13 S OR IL IA At School
------------, Jessie Daughter WF Jan 1892 7 S OR IL IA At School
------------, John B Father WM Dec 1819 80 Wd KY KY KY Retired Farmer
Stone Sanford C Boarder WM Oct 1872 27 S MO IA TN
More About SAMUEL PRESSLEY PURDY:
Census 1: 1860, IL McDonough Emmet Pg 585(See Father)
Census 2: 1870, OR Linn Harrisburg Pg 606B(See Father)
Census 3: 1880, OR Umatilla Centerville Pg 43B
Census 4: 1900, OR Umatilla Athena Dist 113 Pg 99A
Emigration: 1865, IL by Ox Team 15 yrs old
Occupation 1: 1892, Farmer
Occupation 2: 1900, farmer
Picnic: 1892, Weston, Umatilla, OR
Residence: 1892, Weston, Umatilla, OR
Notes for ELIZABETH ANN HARTMAN:
1900 census shows father and mother born in TN. She had 7 children, 6 living.
More About ELIZABETH ANN HARTMAN:
Census 1: 1880, OR Umatilla Centerville Pg 43B(See Husband)
Census 2: 1900, OR Umatilla Athena Dist 113 Pg 99A(See Husband)
More About SAMUEL PURDY and ELIZABETH HARTMAN:
Marriage: 24 Dec 1874, Weston, Umatilla Co., OR
Children of SAMUEL PURDY and ELIZABETH HARTMAN are:
Generation No. 4
4. NELLIE ANGELINE4 PURDY (SAMUEL PRESSLEY3, JOHN BUCK2, PRESSLEY1) was born 17 Nov 1883 in Umatilla,OR9. She married ERNEST EDMUND WALDEN, son of JOHN WALDEN and LENA STAGGS. He was born 09 Dec 1881 in Oregon10, and died Jan 196411.
More About NELLIE ANGELINE PURDY:
Census 1: 1900, OR Umatilla Athena Dist 113 Pg 99A(See Father)
Census 2: 1910, WA Walla Walla Lincoln Pct ED 233 Pg 278B(See Husband)
Census 3: 1920, WA Walla Walla Prescott ED 116 Pg 3B(See Husband)
Census 4: 1930, OR Umatilla Pct 5 ED 5 Pg 1A(See Husband)
Occupation: 1900, At school
Notes for ERNEST EDMUND WALDEN:
Walla Walla Union Bulletin (Walla Walla, Washington) > 1949 > March > 13
Ernest E Walden, who has been among other things, assessor in the eastern portion of Umatilla county many years, comes from a family of early settlers in Oregon and Umatilla County.
First Walden Migrated to Area in 1845.
Over a period of 20 years, much of Umatilla county's east end has been assessed by Ernest E Walden of Milton-Freewater. The veteran deputy asessor is a busy beaver right now compiling the statistics from which next year's taxes will be computed. This is his twenty-first year in this highly important assignment.
His territory embraces the district from Pendleton to the state line but due to the late start and the bad roads created by the recent disturbances, he fears he will not be able to cover the territory without some help.
Family an Old One.
Over approximately the same period of time Walden has been a school director in his community. But even more important -- to history-minded folk -- are the unique associations his parents and grandparents had with early development of Oregon.
The Roving Reporter managed on day recently to prevail on the busy deputy assessor to stand still long enough to review some of the Walden family history. This is Walden's busy season.
Came in '45
Benjamin E Walden, my grandfather, came out to Oregon with the big train of 1845," he said, "They were met in Southern Idaho by Marcus Whitman, with the advice that Indians were menacing. One group of California bound men without families decided they would join in with the Oregon bound wagons, making a total of 90 wagons in the train.
"About where La Grande now is the train was met by a large number of chiefs and their warriors. Whitman started a council that lasted far into the night. Finally the peace pipe was lighted and the train breathed easier. When the train reached the top of the Blues, Whitman left and returned to the mission while the immigrants pushed on to the Willamette Valley."
At Oregon City, Walden's grandfather helped build a house for Dr.McLoughlin. Hudson's Bay company factor at Fort Vancuver. This building more recently became part of the McLoughlin museum.
Not long after, the Waldens were settled in the Waldo hills, six miles east of Salem. There a home was built and in it was born John Walden, more fully referred to presently. Only a few years ago Ernest Walden returned to the Waldo hills and found the original home -- now 100 years old -- still in use, but as part of a tavern.
The present owners revealed that the title for the land originally passed to Ben Walden from the government in 1849.
John to Weston
By 1871 John Walden set up a family domicile near Weston and there Ernest E Walden was born. In due time, Ernest Walden took a shine to Nellie Purdy, over Athena way. She belonged to the same Purdy clan which at one time opereated Bingham Springs. He not only took a shine to Nellie, he married the girl.
Mr and Mrs Walden found some wheat land around Prescott which they liked so well they farmed it for 20 years, and then moved over to the Freewater country, where they have since resided.
Walden has two half-brothers, Orville and Ted, who also live in the Milton-Freewater district.
Name: Ernest Edmond Walden
County: Walla Walla
Birth Date: 9 Dec 1882
1910 Census WA Walla Walla Lincoln Pct ED 233 Pg 278B
1920 Census WA Walla Walla Prescott ED 116 Pg 3B
1930 Census OR Umatilla Pct 5 ED 5 Pg 1A
Elmira or Elvira J.,daughter,9S,OR
More About ERNEST EDMUND WALDEN:
Census 1: 1885, Walla Walla County Census Vol 2 Pg 185(See Grandfather Benjamin Walden)
Census 2: 1910, WA Walla Walla Lincoln Pct ED 233 Pg 278B
Census 3: 1920, WA Walla Walla Prescott ED 116 Pg 3B
Census 4: 1930, OR Umatilla Pct 5 ED 5 Pg 1A
Children of NELLIE PURDY and ERNEST WALDEN are:
1. Weston, Oregon Cemetery Index, Purdy,John B. Masonic Section A Row 5 b 14 Dec 1819 d 21 Apr 1901 MASON.
2. Weston, Oregon Cemetery Index, Purdy, Mary E. Masonic Section A Row 5 b 18 Aug 1828 d 9 Jan 1890 w/o J.B.
3. Oregon Death Index, (Ancestry.com), "Electronic," Name: Purdy, Samuel Pressley County: Jackson Death Date: 13 Dec 1917 Certificate: 261 .
4. Oregon Death Index, (Ancestry.com), "Electronic," Name: Purdy, Elizabeth Ann County: Umatilla Death Date: 31 May 1925 Certificate: 129.
5. Weston, Oregon Cemetery Index, Purdy, Eliza A. Masonic Section A Row 4 1856-1925.
6. Delayed Birth Oregon Archives, Case# 487/21407 Name Purdy, Walter Edwin Date 02-18-1881 Record Type Delayed Birth County Umatilla Source Health .
7. CA Death Index, Name: PURDY, WALTER EDWIN Social Security #: 545224175 Sex: MALE Birth Date: 18 Feb 1881 Birthplace: OREGON Death Date: 9 Nov 1959 Death Place: BUTTE Mother's Maiden Name: HARTMAN Father's Surname: PURDY.
8. Weston, Oregon Cemetery Index, Purdy, Freddie L. Masonic Section A Row 4 d 29 Dec 1878 1y 4m 27d so S.O. & E.A.
9. Delayed Birth Oregon Archives, Case# 486/21403 Name Walden, Nellie Angeline Purdy Date 11-17-1883 Record Type Delayed Birth County Umatilla Source Health .
10. Delayed Birth Oregon Archives, Case# 46 Name Walden, Ernest Edmond Date 12-09-1881 Record Type Delayed Birth County Umatilla Source Health Parents x .
11. SS Death Index, ERNEST WALDEN 09 Dec 1881 Jan 1964 (Idaho) (none specified) 540-28-4061 Oregon.
12. Delayed Birth Oregon Archives, Parent: Ernest E Waldon Name: Margueret Lois Waldon Location: Walla Walla Parent: Nellie Purdy Birth Date: 27 Jun 1909 Sex: F Race: W.
13. SS Death Index, Name: Paul E. Walden SSN: 542-07-0437 Last Residence: 97031 Hood River, Hood River, OregonBorn: 7 May 1917 Died: 28 Mar 2003 State (Year) SSN issued: Oregon (Before 1951 ).