Descendants of Benjamin Franklin Williams
Courtesy of www.museum.bmi.net
Jessie Carl Earl Aimee
Benjamin and Phoebe Rogers Williams
Generation No. 1
1. Benjamin Franklin1 Williams1 was born Abt. 1851, and died 12 Oct 1931 in Milton, Umatilla, OR. He married Phoebe Loretta Rogers1 8 Aug 1875 in Norton Kansas. She was born 7 Nov 1859 in Clinton County, Indiana, and died 21 Jun 1945 in Pendleton, Umatilla, Oregon.
Notes for Benjamin Franklin Williams:
Written by Mary Ellen Putnam
B. F. Williams and Phoebe Loretta Rogers eloped and were married August 8, 1875 in Norton, Kansas. Officiating was David Close, Justice of the Peace in Norton, Kansas. Phoebe's father W. B. Rogers chased them to the Kansas line as they headed west, but didn't stop the marriage and the new bride and groom returned to Norton Kansas where they stayed until 1882.
B. F. Williams was elected treasurer of Norton County, Kansas in 1873. He was a restaurant owner, and he owned 1/2 interest in the Cottonwood store until 1874. He was appointed Post Master in 1878.
He resigned in 1880 and 2 years later moved his family to Oregon with a wagon train. On the wagon trail west, as told to us by Grandma Phoebe Williams, she taught the children to lay down in a ditch or a low place if there should be a stampede. One day they camped by a little creek and Grandma put the butter in the creek to keep it cool. Later they sent Aimee, who was 4 years old, to get the butter and it had floated down the creek. Aimee saw it bobbing along and ran down the creek and rescued it. Grandma was real proud of her. Earl told us he walked most of the way to Oregon. He was the oldest of the children.
The settled on the Columbia River near Touchet Wn., where B. F. carpentered and was away from home sometimes. When he was away Phoebe took care of the children and the chores, and guarded the meat house with the shot gun, from the Indians. She separated their bull and the neighbor's bull as they were fighting, with a pitchfork. She gave birth to one of the children while alone with them. Son Earl rode the horse to the neighbor for help, but she had the baby on a pallet on the floor while he was gone. She was quite a woman. She recited poetry by the yard. Always kept new poems pinned to the window curtain in the kitchen so she could memorize them while she worked. She played the organ and sang. I remember her playing and singing after Xmas dinner at 'The Maples', about 1922.
They moved to Milton Oregon in 1898.
Benjamin and Phoebe celebrated their golden wedding (50 years) August 8, 1925, at their home, 'The Maples', in Milton Oregon.
Phoebe's father, W. B. Rogers, born Oct 1834, moved to Norton Kansas in 1873. He went to Milton Oregon in the summer of 1922, alone on the train. He died in 1934 in Norton Kansas; almost 100 years old.
More About Benjamin Franklin Williams:
Emigration: 1882, Wagon Train from Norton KS2
More About Benjamin Williams and Phoebe Rogers:
Marriage: 8 Aug 1875, Norton Kansas
Children of Benjamin Williams and Phoebe Rogers are:
Generation No. 2
4. Aimee Elizabeth2 Williams (Benjamin Franklin1)2 was born 21 May 1878 in Norton KS, and died 1 Nov 1930 in Portland, , OR. She married Walter Ernest Putnam3 6 Jan 1898 in Milton, Umatilla, OR, son of Goyne Putnam and Lucinda Babcock. He was born 10 Jan 1862 in Laonia, Winnebago, IL, and died 1 May 1936 in Portland, , OR.
Notes for Aimee Elizabeth Williams:
More About Aimee Elizabeth Williams:
Burial: IOOF Cem, Milton-Freewater, Umatilla, OR
Notes for Walter Ernest Putnam:
Mary Ellen Putnam wrote that on August 8 1892, Walter Ernest Putnam bought 2 acres of land on the Mill Race near Milton Oregon from George T. Ireland. He built a 9 room, 2 story house where he, his mother and father, sister Mabel and her daughter Verna lived.
More About Walter Ernest Putnam:
Burial: IOOF Cem, Milton-Freewater, Umatilla, OR
Cause of Death: Prostate3
More About Walter Putnam and Aimee Williams:
Marriage: 6 Jan 1898, Milton, Umatilla, OR
Children of Aimee Williams and Walter Putnam are:
Generation No. 3
6. Franklin Goyne3 Putnam (Aimee Elizabeth2 Williams, Benjamin Franklin1) was born 1 Oct 1898 in Milton, Umatilla, OR9, and died Bef. 197610. He married Lena Katherine Schneider 21 Sep 1922 in Walla Walla, Walla Walla, WA. She was born 27 Jan 1893 in Harmony, WA.
More About Franklin Goyne Putnam:
Residence: 1970, Seattle, King, WA
More About Franklin Putnam and Lena Schneider:
Marriage: 21 Sep 1922, Walla Walla, Walla Walla, WA
Child of Franklin Putnam and Lena Schneider is:
7. Elwyn Walter3 Putnam (Aimee Elizabeth2 Williams, Benjamin Franklin1) was born 21 Jul 1900 in Milton, Umatilla, OR11. He married Mary E. Hall 27 Nov 1920 in Yakima, WA, daughter of Henry Hall and Sarah Hendricks. She was born 3 Apr 1901 in Urich, MO.
More About Elwyn Walter Putnam:
Residence: 1976, Bend, , OR12
More About Elwyn Putnam and Mary Hall:
Marriage: 27 Nov 1920, Yakima, WA
Children of Elwyn Putnam and Mary Hall are:
1. Mary E. Putnam.
2. Nona Miriam Putnam Kurtz.
3. Mary E. Putnam.
4. Nona Miriam Putnam Kurtz.
5. Mary E. Putnam.
6. Nona Miriam Putnam Kurtz.
7. Mary E. Putnam.
8. Nona Miriam Putnam Kurtz.
9. Mary E. Putnam.
10. Nona Miriam Putnam Kurtz.
11. Mary E. Putnam.
12. Nona Miriam Putnam Kurtz.